The Ten Commandments for Cultivating a Powerful Body
1. Keep a Loving, Attentive Dialogue With Your Body: Your body is your best friend, and your life depends on it. Pay attention to your body on a daily basis; it talks to you about your stresses, your pleasures, your feelings, and your choices. It shows you what it needs and what you need, and it is guiding you constantly. Learn to listen to it on every level.
2. Take Care of Your Inner Life: The healthier you become emotionally, mentally, and spiritually, the easier it might be for your body to cope. When you commit to taking care of your inner life, you naturally begin to attend to your outer life—your body, your environment, your finances, and so on. The distinction between inner and outer life is somewhat arbitrary; all of it is your life.
3. Breathe: The breath is God’s music playing through you. Treat it as you would a most precious gift. Become grateful for and mindful of your breath; learn to deepen, calm, and enjoy it. Most of us are not breathing fully. I suggest that you investigate the world of breathing exercises and practice a few minutes a day as part of your meditation practice.
4. Take in Good Nutrition: My simple advice is: eat as naturally as you can, as close to Mother Nature as possible. Eat real food, if possible organic, unprocessed, clean of chemicals and additives (read labels), and lots of fresh vegetables and fruit. Stay away from refined flours and sugars and heavily deep-fried or greasy foods. Eat three balanced meals a day, even if they’re small meals. Combining foods correctly helps with digestion. It is paramount to drink lots of clean water. Enjoy your food. Prepare it with love, eat mindfully, chew well, and remember to be grateful for it.
5. Move, Dance, Exercise: It is the nature of the body to enjoy movement. I suggest that you always explore different ways of moving. Put on music while you’re cleaning or doing something around the house, and experiment with some freestyle movement in between the chores. Take different yoga classes; try new exercise classes. If you like to play sports, keep up with it. Jog, speed walk, stretch or swim. The key is variety, fun, and new discoveries.
6. Rest and Relax: As much as the body loves to move, it also loves to rest and relax. The balance between exertion and rest needs to be maintained at all times. Many of us have forgotten how to rest and relax. We keep ourselves so busy that the art of relaxation has become foreign to us. I have to remind myself frequently to take time out. Lazy moments can be wonderfully energizing. If you are a meditator, you know how helpful it is to completely relax the body as a preparation for meditation.
7. Groom, Clean, and Beautify: We have to admit that it feels wonderful to clean, groom, and beautify the body. Our bodies so deserve it. They carry us around so loyally and bring us so much pleasure that our loving attention is very appropriate.
8. Touch and Be Touched: We all need touch; it is a must for healthy living. Find ways that are appropriate to experience loving expressions through touch. Hug the people you’re close with, and do so often. Be receptive to their loving touch. I recommend exploring different forms of healing modalities that focus on the body, such as massage, acupuncture, shiatsu, Reiki, polarity, Rolfing, craniosacral therapy, and so on. If you’re a parent, simply be tactile and affectionate with your kids. As much as possible, create a place for touch in your life.
9. Enjoy Sensuous Sexual Pleasure: I’m a great believer in the power of good, healthy, sensuous pleasure. Sensual pleasure means different things to different people, so I will not bother with the details. The idea is to discover, experiment, and enjoy. If possible, make that distinction and orient yourself toward pleasure that is healing rather than addictive.
10. Keep Adventure as Part of Your Life: Body, mind, and soul thrive on new experiences and new adventures. Find ways to introduce new learning, new places to travel, new people, and new ways to experience familiar things. Try new foods, listen to new types of music, do something you have never done before. Keep your life interesting. Look for and create adventure—it keeps your spirit on its toes. The brain needs to learn new things constantly in order to stay healthy, the soul loves the growth that adventure brings, and the body is energized by it.
An excerpt from the book by Nomi Bachar “Let the Heart Speak”
Available on Amazon.
Let The Heart Speak BY NOMI BACHAR
Let the Heart Speak extends an invitation to open your heart to life, to let it deeply affect and empower you. This uplifting collection is full of warmth and energy. It touches on a wide range of subjects — relationships, self-love, emotions, celebration, magic, and transformation.